It’s time to speak up for translators and interpreters
Every Australian should be heard and understood.
Translators and interpreters play a critical role in our community, ensuring all Australians can communicate and access the important services they need.
Their help is vital in supporting:
- our parents and grandparents when accessing medical, legal and government services
- members of established European and Asian migrant communities
- recent migrant groups from Middle Eastern or African communities
- our Deaf community
- professionals working in areas such as education, welfare, healthcare, law enforcement and the judiciary- to communicate with their clients
- Governments and their agencies in delivering critical information to communities whose first language is not English.
But these vital workers are underpaid, have no job security and deal with extremely poor workplace conditions.