Frequently Asked Questions about the wage increase in Victoria

Translators and Interpreters Australia (TIA) Victoria, answers some questions following the pay increase for interpreters in the state.

Are TIA members who live in other states but provide services for Victorian government clients via LSPs eligible for the new minimum rates?

The new minimum rates apply to assignments funded by the Victorian Government and are payable to the interpreter completing the assignment. This would mainly refer to telephone or video-conference interpreting services to users funded by the Victorian Government. OnCall have agreed to pay the new minimum rates beyond jobs funded by the Victorian Government however their FAQs state that these rates apply only to Victorian residents.

The advice from the Victorian Government is that regardless of your place of residence, you're entitled to the new minimum rates provided that the assignment IS FUNDED by the Victorian Government.

If you are a member require further assistance to understand the new rates, please contact us at

Which jobs do higher rates apply to in Victoria?

The higher rates apply only to Victorian Government funded assignments. The Victorian Government has resourced its departments and service providers with additional funding derived from the $21.8m funding boost delivered in 2017 to cover the increases.

The Language Services Providers (LSPs) or ‘interpreting agencies’ are contractually bound to pass these increases on to you. The Government has implemented only base rates and the Regional Service Charge into current contracts with LSPs. As a result, pro rata and incremental rates extending beyond the base rates will not necessarily be consistent across agencies.

TIA continues to campaign for further improvements including standardisation and consistency across all Victorian rates. It is obvious that there is more work to be done, not only for consistency across Victoria, but also nationally. If you’re not sure, check with your LSP about their Victorian Government contracts to confirm the jobs that incur the higher rates

TIA are enforcing the higher rates for our members ONLY.

Join now and get the wage you deserve!

I work for smaller private agencies, do the new minimum rates apply?

Yes, the new minimum rates apply and are payable by any LSP (agency) that offers you work under contracts with Victorian government funded services.

I am contracted directly by a public hospital, do the new minimum rates apply to me?

Yes, public hospitals are a Victorian Government funded entity, therefore they are required to pay at least the new minimums to interpreters that they contract directly.

Please note: Casual employees at a Victorian public hospital, the new minimum rates DO NOT apply.
Casual employees are on an Enterprise Agreement under an Award that stipulates that you are engaged/paid for a minimum of 3 hours each time.

Are you a member? 

Join us here!